Barolo Campe LA SPINETTA 2019
The Rivetti family story begins in the 1890s, when Giovanni Rivetti, grandfather of the three Rivetti brothers, Carlo, Bruno and Giorgio, left Piedmont for Argentina. Like many Italians of that time, he dreamed of returning rich and a powerful man, perhaps even one day able to make a great wine in his homeland.
He never did, though his son, Giuseppe (nicknamed Pin) did. Pin married Lidia, bought vineyards and began to make wine. In 1977 the family took up residence at LA SPINETTA (top of the hill) in Castagnole Lanze. It was the heart of the Moscato d’Asti country, home of a rather light and simple dessert wine. But the Rivettis believed that Moscato had the potential for greatness and set out to prove it by making Moscato Bricco Quaglia and Biancospino.
Eventually though the family’s vision was even grander. In 1985 LA SPINETTA made its first red wine, Barbera Cà di Pian. After this many great reds followed: In 1989 the Rivettis dedicated their red blend Pin to their father. In 1995 they started to make their first Barbaresco, Gallina. In 1996 and 1997 the Barbarescos Starderi, Barbera d’Alba Gallina and Barbaresco Valeirano follow. In 1998 premiered the Barbera d’Asti Superiore.
In 2000 the family’s ambition of also making a Barolo became reality. The Rivettis acquired vineyards in Grinzane Cavour and built a state of the art cellar, Barolo Campè. Since 2003 visitors are welcomed to visit also Campè, outside the town, Grinzane Cavour.
In 2001 LA SPINETTA expanded over the borders of Piedmont and acquired 65 hectares of vineyards in Tuscany, between Pisa and Volterra to make three different 100% Sangiovese wines, as Sangiovese to La Spinetta, is the true ambassador of the Tuscan terrain.
Elegant, powerful, structured and complex, the Barolo “Campé” by La Spinetta is born in the vineyard of the same name by Grinzane Cavou.
- Vineyards: From Campé cru in Grinzane Cavour, middle age of the vine of 55 years, rooted in a calcareous soil faced to South at 270 m above sea level. With no use of herbicedes or pesticides
- Vinification: Fermentation in steel tanks with maceration on the skins for 7-8 days and malolactic fermentation in oak barrels. No filtrations
- Aging: 24 months in medium-toasted barriques
- Colour: Deep garnet red
- Scent: Intense, elegant and mineral, of black fruits, Mediterranean scrub, balsamic herbs, licorice, earth and wild spices
- Taste: Powerful, structured and complex, with an elegant freshness and an endless persistence