Brunello di Montalcino Riserva Santa Caterina d’Oro Pianrosso Ciacci Piccolomini D’Aragona 2007
The estate has origins that date back to the 17th century and it still keeps its historical heritage in a building called “Palazzo” (Palace) that was built by Fabivs de’ Vecchis, Bishop of Montalcino and Abbot of Sant’Antimo Abbey.
After the Bishop’s death, the Palace and the surrounding estate were auctioned according to the Italian law regarding ecclesiastic properties and on September 16, 1868, they were purchased by the countess Eva Bernini Cerretani. On December 31, 1877, the countess Cerretani sold the entire estate to the Ciacci family from Castelnuovo dell’Abate. After the marriage between the count Alberto Piccolomini d’Aragona, a direct discendent of Enea Silvio Piccolomini (Pope Pius II) and Elda Ciacci, the Bishop’s Palace became the Ciacci Piccolomini d’Aragona Palace.
In 1985 the countess Elda Ciacci bequeathed the entire property to Giuseppe Bianchini, farmer of the estate since a lot of years, applying a completely brand new and forefront philosophy production for that period, increasing quantity, quality of wines and opening the export worldwide. Giuseppe, unfortunately passed away in February 2004, left the business to his son and daughter, Paolo and Lucia.
Vigna Ferraiole, Vigna Egle, Vigna Contessa and Vigna Colombaio are just some of our most important Sangiovese Grosso’s vines; all of them located south Montalcino, facing south-west.
The soil is medium grain with good levels of marl, dating from the Eocene period.
The Sangiovese Grosso clone is selected from the eldest vines of the estate characterized by straggly bunches and big berries with thick skin. It is a particularly representative kind of Sangiovese coming from Montalcino area, which gives quality even in difficult vintages.
Ciacci Piccolomini d’Aragona estate has two wine cellars: the historical wine cellar, dedicated to the long ageing of the most prestigious wines located in the basement of the 17th century Ciacci Piccolomini d’Aragona Palace;
the new wine cellar, near the village of Castelnuovo dell’Abate, now the estate headquarters with fermentation, aging, refinement and storage facilities.
Roughly 36 months in 7,5 – 62 hl Slavonian oak barrels, followed by over 8 months of bottle refinement.
Ruby red verging on garnet
The bouquet is intense, complex, fruit-forward and spicy with hints or ripe red berry fruits enriched by various spicy notes. Warm, soft and harmonic on the palate. Great balance among pronounced tannins, acidity and savouriness. This elegant wine has great potential for further cellar ageing.
Open an hour before pouring and serve at 18°C (64,4° F) in large crystal glasses. Bottles should be kept in a horizontal position, far from light sources and protected from both extremes and changes in temperature.
Great companion of stewed and roasted meat and game (such as hare, pheasant and wild boar). Excellent with mature cheeses.