Fattoria Le Pupille Morellino di Scansano 2018
A succession of gentle hills watching over the majestic contour of the Monte Amiata.
It’s precisely from one of these soft and sensual hills that the story of Fattoria Le Pupille begins and leads it to how it is seen today: a heterogenous reality.
In the course of the years, the originating core of the winery effectively enriched itself of new grape particles, reaching today 75 hectares of vineyards, distributed like many mosaic pieces between many stunning areas of Maremma.
Another 20 hectares are destined to the olives, and then cereals and cork oaks alternate with pastures reaching up to 420 hectares of overall property.
Vineyards of Morellino
There are up to 30 hectares, between Pereta and Magliano in Toscana, divided in a variety of small plots.
Therefore, the compositions of the various soils is very different, but predominantly sandy and rich of stones and sandstones.
The density of the implantation varies. from 3,250 and 6,250 plants per hectare, depending upon the age of the plot
These vineyards are the kingdom of Sangiovese, but also of Alicante, Malvasia Nera and Ciliegiolo.
Morellino di Scansano
The Morellino di Scansano is the wine which better represents, as well in quantitative terms, Fattoria Le Pupille’s wine production. Since its first vintage – 1985, it had always been accompanying the winery as a full and constant expression of its territory.
- Harvest: beginning of September for Ciliegiolo, end of September for Sangiovese and the second half of September for Alicante
- Fermentation Temperature: 24º in inox steel tanks
- Maceration Time: 15 days
- Aging: 6 months in steel tanks
- Production: 180,000 bottles
- First Vintage Produced: 1985
- Profile: Brilliant red with light ruby reflections. The smell is intense, with important scents of red fruit, in particular blueberries and freshly picked cherry. On the palate the wine is silky, fresh, with a light aromatic persistence.The tannins are very present but well balanced.
- Food Pairing: Perfect with sauce based first courses, even more elaborated ones and second courses typical of Maremma cuisine. At a 18°C temperature it is very good as an appetizer companion.